Over the Holidays, we visited the village several times and accomplished several important benefits.
1) A combination of donated medicine and money from donations enabled us to secure approximately $1,150 of medicine for the village. That's about $23 per family. Medicines include
(anti-rash, cold medicines, anti-allergic, cough, arthritis, anti-parasite and diarrhea, and more)
2) The Palo Solo team also met with the Ministry of Health, (Ministerio de Salud - MINSA, http://minsa.gob.ni) in the area and based on the available medicine, MINSA agreed to send a nurse/doctor to the village every two weeks to check up on the villagers and disperse the medicine as appropriate. This is a service paid for by the Government of Nicaragua. Unfortunately doctors do not visit villages like these since the villagers can't afford any medication. Since Paolo Solo can afford medication, they are now visiting regularly. This is a great example of a small gift having a multiplier a effect!
3) A doctor/nurse team examined 64 children and family members in early January and prescribed medicines for issues such as parasites, infections, asthma and other illnesses. We hope to get a report from the Ministry with more detail on the illnesses they addressed.
4) A major source of illness prevention comes form clothing and housing conditions. To that end, the team delivered 48 low cost warm blankets and sweaters. They are now looking to purchase used clothing locally for the villagers to protect them from the cold. At 2400 feet, the village gets very cold at night.
5) Distributed school supplies for 120 kids (2 notebooks, 2 pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser, and pen for every child)
That's a great start. Please check the site for pictures of these charitable events you made possible. Pictures from December 2007 Donation are at http://www.palosoloproject.org/december-2007-donations.html.
Also, thanks to a donor, we now have launched new website with our own domain name! www.palosoloproject.org/
Once we finish the fundraising for the project, there are several other programs we hope to launch including, purchasing bicycles for those graduating and seeking to attend middle school, school repair projects and more illness prevention programs.
Thanks again for your support and please provide us with feedback!