Our two priorities this year have been to focus on a) fund raising from third parties to leverage and build on the efforts of our donors; and b) concentrate our efforts in the village on services supporting education and increasing the future earning potential of the children.
- There are two graduation seniors from Las Conchas school (HS), a girl and a boy, this year that have a great desire to go to a university
- They are both interested in studying computer science
- We interviewed the girl and she seemed very determined
- She needs help paying for school and is looking for a scholarship or financial aid because her parents cannot afford to send her to a university
- We will send presents and school supplies to the children attending the elementary school in Palo Solo, school starts again in the end of January 2010
- Around 4-5 children are graduation 6th grade this year and will be attending high school in Las Conchas
- We will evaluate giving out bicycles to these students to facilitate the commute from Palo Solo to Las Conchas, which is almost an hour on dirt
- Besides school supplies and transportation, we have learned that another big expense item for students and their families is uniforms and clothe because of the long commutes and dirt. Per student, families have to buy 3-4 pairs of shoes per year and 4-5 uniforms per year
- The teacher from the elementary school in Palo Solo agreed to help us coordinate and monitor classes at the library where our computer and internet is setup
- Hopefully we can integrate school assignments with the computer resources at the library to encourage students to learn how to use a computer even more!